Sunday, February 6, 2011

Secret 5: Use Hemp

I don't usually "use hemp" unless I am buying rope or I am purchasing rice in bulk that comes in a hemp bag.  But EAT it?  Maybe if you need to increase the fiber content of your diet?
A few historical tidbits on hemp: weapons used during the Middle Ages (such as the long bow) were made of hemp as this was v. durable and able to withstand great pressure.  In the 13th century the main source of paper was hemp.  In 1455 Gutenberg printed the Gutenberg Bible on hemp paper.  Another famous document printed on hemp paper (hempaper?) was the 1776 Declaration of Independence.  So now Sally Beare is recommending that I include hemp in my diet?  Eat wisdom and you will turn wise?
So off to the store I go in search of hemp and its ilk.  Natural Grocers, formerly know as Vitamin Cottage is a popular family-owned chain of small supermarkets along the Front Range in Colorado.  The store is a great source of fresh, organic produce, v. affordable fresh spices and herbs (check the bulk bins) and all sorts of funky foods.
My first thought is to check the beauty section for some 100% cold-pressed oil that I can use as a skin moisturizer.  I've used up my apricot kernel oil, so why not try hemp oil next?
"We don't have any hemp oil for your skin, but we do have organic hemp oil for salads and smoothies." the cosmetics lady seems confused by my question.
I make a mental note - if I can eat it, why not rub it on my face? I'll just apply the hemp salad oil variation to my skin.  Little do I know (keep reading).
I continue my hemp quest by engaging the main buyer of the store.  He is much more familiar with this superfood than the lady in the cosmetics section.  He tells me that hemp is the newest superfood - rich in nutrients, high in protein (25% of hemp consists of protein) and it contains all eight essential amino acids. Also, it is one of the few foods that has a healthy ratio of omega-3 to omega-6 fatty acids.  The ratio is 1:3.   The buyer is very enthusiastic about hemp.  
"Are you familiar with hemp ice-cream?  It's delicious!"
Since my family is already resigned to being dietary guinea pigs, I place a 'double Dutch chocolate HempIScream' in my shopping basket.  This one's for my husband.   He has a sweet tooth.
"Oh these are delicious!" the cashier will later tell me when I am checking out.
"You've tried them?" I ask surprised.  Am I the only one who has missed the hemp train?
"Yes, they distribute them at Red Rocks!"
Red Rocks is a stunning, natural outdoor amphitheater in Denver, Colorado.  It turns out that the company that makes IScream is located in nearby Boulder.  

"What other hemp products do you have?  How about hemp pasta?" I ask the store buyer.
"That would be great.  That's a v. healthy pasta!  But we don't carry it.  Hopefully we will get it in some day."
Hemp pasta is gluten-free.
I scan the pasta aisle: whole wheat, brown rice, quinoa....so many choices!  Pasta once consisted purely of "enriched" semolina.
"But we do have hemp milk!" he adds.
"Hemp milk?"
"Yes, and I might even have a coupon for you!"
I find three different brands of hemp milk and each brand offers several flavors: regular (which is sweetened), unsweetened, vanilla, chocolate.  I decide on regular:


It is a product of Canada and tastes much like almond milk or soy milk or horchata.  The main ingredients are filtered water and evaporated cane juice.  I barely taste the shelled hemp seed and hemp oil.

On second thoughts, I doubt the world's healthiest and longest-living people have access to any of these highly processed sugary "hemp" products. To get the full nutritional benefit of hemp I need to buy 100% cold-pressed hemp oil.  It comes in a dark bottle and is stored in the store cooler.  This is more like it!  If centenarians in the blue zones are eating hemp products, then hemp oil must be one of the main ways they are getting their hemp benefits (hempefits?):

Now I realize why this oil is not suitable for straight-up application to the face (at least not as long as the 'green look' is not in vogue).  The oil tastes like a cross between pumpkin seed oil (just as green) and a mild version of walnut oil.
I mix it with balsamic vinegar and water to create a simple salad dressing:

Tastes a bit bitter.  I will have to experiment some more with this oil.  The instructions on the bottle recommend the oil for salad dressings and smoothies, but advise against cooking with it.  I am glad I chose the smallest bottle available in the store (250 ml),as this taste will take some getting used to.
But I have learned from my sprouted wheat experiment.  Let me find some great recipes that showcase hemp.  And if you have some great hemp recipes, please share them in the comments!

Take-home lesson: add some hemp to your diet preferably as unprocessed as possible such as 100% cold-pressed oil.  

No comments:

Post a Comment